JQL Description IS Empty Does Not Work

Nick December 18, 2020

I'm trying to setup an automat but it doesn't work and I'm pretty sure it's because this JQL doesn't work but I don't understand why, if this is not empty then what is. I also tried is NULL. Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 1.19.34 AM.png

The automation interface only has these options so I'm not sure how to proceed... any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 1.21.03 AM.png

4 answers

0 votes
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2020

Maybe there are some line breaks or spaces in your description? it's weird that the JQL search would show it up as well

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2020

Hi Nick,

could you please show us your rule like in the screenshots of Marco and Kagithala along with the output of the log like showed in the screenshot of Kagithala?

That will help in digging deeper :)

Thanks,
Daniel

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2020

Hi @Nick 

image.png

The following email was received

image.png

0 votes
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2020

Hello @Nick ,

in an automation rule, the Issue fields condition works for me.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.13.34.png
Question: you indicate in your question both "is empty" and "is not empty". Which one doesn't work for you?
And what do you want to do with the automation rule?

regards, Marco

Nick December 18, 2020

@Marco Brundel I was trying to show the issue I can't find so for the screenshot I put "not empty." For testing purposes I had trigger set to "on edit" and for some reason the description does not show as empty, but if I use that same logic "on create" it worked exactly as expected.

Basically I setup a automatic template, so when we create issue we will create them blank so the automat will then insert our template since Jira doesn't have this feature and the 3rd party we use is a little clunky in it's approach.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events