JMWE in a Greenhopper Environment

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

Can JMWE be useful in a Greenhopper environment?

I have happily used JMWE (workflow conditions, validators and post-functions) and now that the plugin has transitioned to a commercial model I am being asked...

"Do we really need JMWE at all if we transition to using Greenhopper even more than we do at the moment?"

What are people's experiences here? I am aware of the constraint that JMWE would place on switching to a Greenhopper Simplified Workflow. From the docs...

You will only be able to switch to Simplified Workflow if:

• Your workflow only uses Post Functions, Validators, and Conditions which are provided by Atlassian (not any which are provided by add-ons)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2013

Note that you do not need to switch to the Greenhopper Simplified Workflow to use GreenHopper. It's just a way to get started quickly. Most GreenHopper users actually use their own, more sophisticated workflows.

As to whether you will still need to use JMWE, it all depends on your workflow... and therefore your internal processes. If you manage everything using plain simple Scrum or Kanban, and have no support in Jira, no external-facing projects, limited security constraints, etc., then the answer is probably no.

I would suggest that you start with your functional requirements (i.e. what you want to achieve with JIRA), and then see how that maps into JIRA+GreenHopper, most importantly in terms of workflow(s). In the meantime, you can continue to use the free version of JMWE (if you haven't upgraded to JIRA 6) or use an evaluation license, until you've figured it out.

Cheers,

David.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2013

Thanks for the speedy feedback. An evaluation license will indeed allow us to upgrade to JIRA v6.0.x and delay our decision about using JMWE.

I totally understand about getting functional requirements defined... that's exactly what led me to JMWE in the first place, about 18 months I used only 4 features (but used each one many times) but each was based on a lot of up-front design.

By the way... email to the innovalog support address listed on Marketplace gives an SMTP error:

550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist

Suggest an answer