JMWE - Separation of duties challenge

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

Hi all,

currently I am having a challenge with the JMWE-plugin, namely with the "separation of duties"-condition.

We've got the classic case: While one colleague shall be able to "resolve" an issue, he must not be able to "close" the same issue (and vice versa).

What I did: In the "close issue"-transition I've added a JMWE-condition (only that condition!):

"Only a user who has never transitioned the issue from In Progress to Resolved can execute this transition."

Results:

1.) If I resolve an issue, I cannot close the issue (right!), anybody else can close it (right!)

2.) If anybody else resolves an issue, I can close it (right!), but the "resolver" himself can close it as well (wrong!)

This is quite strange and difficult to debug, as it seems to work only partially as required and expected. As mentioned no other conditions apply to the "close issue" transition.

I am project lead (we even temporarily changed that) and in the same roles as the other testing colleagues.

Anyone any idea? Hints are highly appreciated!

Cheers
Kai

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2013

The problem will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2.0 release, which should be available this week.

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Which version of JMWE and JIRA are you using?

There might be a case issue since JIRA 6 (https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Renamable+Users+in+JIRA+6.0)

I will create a snapshot build with a potential fix and more logs.

Could you raise an issue on https://innovalog.atlassian.net, so that we can better track this?

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Which version of JMWE and JIRA are you using?

We're using JIRA 6.0.5 and JMWE 3.1.1

Could you raise an issue on https://innovalog.atlassian.net,

and I created JMWE-206 :)

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

To be more precise: the Condition scans the "issue history" for the issue, looking for an entry associated with the current user that shows a change for the "Status" field with an "Original value"=<from status> and a "New value"=<to status>

So you should verify the "History" tab for the issue that shows the inappropriate behavior.

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Hi David,

thanks for your precise description regarding the "issue history". As our current log level does not show any "com.innovalog" entries, we will increase logging as soon as we can schedule a maintenance downtime.

Meanwhile I can post two screenshots. One showing the history tab, where user "J" is able to close the issue, although the workflow JMWE-condition does implicate he should not (second screenshot).

Most likely you agree that this is kind of a not expected behavior, right?

Cheers
Kai

Second screenshot:

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Have you looked at the JIRA logs? Search for "com.innovalog".

Also, have you verified that the transition from In Progress to Resolved appears in the issue history with the right user?

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Hi David,

thanks for your lightspeed-answer!

Add 1: at which point you expect a message from "com.innovalog" in the logfiles? When the issue is transitioned from "in progress" to status "resolved", preventing the transition-button "close issue" to show up?

Add 2: The transition in the history is done with the correct user in all cases. Thanks for pointing to that, but here seems to be no error.

Cheers

Kai

David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

The log would show up when you try to trigger the Close transition (actually whenever you display the issue since that is when the Condition is evaluated, to build the list of available workflow actions).

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

So, I'll have a look in the logs and will come back with the result asap. Thanks!

Suggest an answer