JMC layout problem on iPhone 5

David123 January 10, 2013

I've integrated JMC on an iPhone 5 and am experiencing layout problems.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David123 January 10, 2013

I found the problem. In `JMCViewController.m` they hardcode the size of the text view. This is bad practice and should be fixed.

if (UI_USER_INTERFACE_IDIOM() == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPhone) {
        CGRect newFrame = self.view.bounds;
        if (UIInterfaceOrientationIsPortrait(self.interfaceOrientation)) {
            newFrame.size.height = 200;
        }
        else {
            newFrame.size.height = 106;
        }

self.descriptionField.superview.frame = newFrame;
        self.countdownView.center = self.descriptionField.center;
    }

<body></body>
1 vote
Ricardo Villarreal March 7, 2013

Based on your question/answer I've created a pull request that fixes this. Basically instead of having a hardcoded value for the height that depends of orientation and device we take the current height and subtract the height of the keyboard.

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jiraconnect-ios/pull-request/13/fix-jmcviewcontroller-layout-issue-in-the/diff

David123 March 7, 2013

Your fix might fix the issue now but you shouldn't hard code the keyboard size. Does your solution work for iPad (try it and it wont), the keyboard size is different. Also what about landscape orientation?

I tested it on the iPad simulator and it worked fine as the layout in the iPad is different (the buttons are in the top right of the view), check line 214 to 220: https://bitbucket.org/rvillarreal/jiraconnect-ios/src/a5f1b02b723d/JIRAConnect/JMCClasses/Base/JMCViewController.m

You are right, I read that the keyboard height was the same for both orientations but it turned out it's not. I'll update it.

I've updated the pull request. Thanks for the feedback! It was my bad not double checking the keyboard size in the different orientations.

Suggest an answer