JIra taking up lot of memory

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2013

Hi All

I have got Windows server 2003 hosting my jira installation 5.0.

My problem is before i start up jira (as a service) the task manager shows 2.8 GB available memory however the moment i start-up the jira the available memory drops from 2.8 GB to 200 MB.

I am not sure y this is happening.

I have explicitly allocated a memory of 1 GB for this jira installation (using commands as mentioned in jira documentation for increasing jira memory)

I only have four plugins installed; jira charting plugin, jira misc workflow extensions, greenhopper and jira suite utilities.

Any idea what is causing this drastic drop in memory. It is often resulting in the jira abruptly shutting down due to memory running out.

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2013

Sounds similar to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/19437/why-are-atlassian-products-so-memory-hungry

Java apps have many memory pools, you have probably allocated 'one' of them to 1GB, there are others, though stretching that to another 1.2GB is a bit much. Where/what is your database (same box)?

If you monitor heap usage with JConsole you can track memory usage. If you eventually run into an OutOfMemory exception, that sounds like a memory leak from a plugin.

Monitoring your memory usage, combined with potentially disabling one plugin at a time is likely the best way to locate the cause.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2013

Thanks Andy. I only observed this on test instance not on production. But the steps you mentioned is the right way to approach the problem

Rahul

1 vote
Max Blackmer August 1, 2013

I would also suggest looking at Concurrent Mark-Sweep (CMS) Garbage Collector with incremental mode to be better tuned for web applications. See more Details on my comment in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/22592/is-your-jira-instance-growing-above-200-000-issues

Suggest an answer