JIra service desk rest api authentication return 401

Manpreet Kaur January 11, 2018

I have tried following curl command to access service desk rest api but it's return 401 authenticate failed error.When i access same API with login on browser directly then it is working.

curl -D- -u user:password -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://xxx.atlassian.net/rest/servicedeskapi/servicedesk

Note:  This API is  working properly with jira user's credentials  but when i use service desk customer's credential then it is not working.

we were using this api from last few months it was working fine but from last two days it is not working.

1 answer

0 votes
Glauco
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2018

Hi Manpreet,

I believe this is happening because of the changes announced in this article:

Jira Service Desk Cloud REST API changes to Atlassian Account

On 1 January, 2018, we're changing how you authenticate users with the Jira Service Desk Cloud REST API.

Right now, the REST API supports authentication for all users. However, on 1 January, users will need to have an Atlassian Account to authenticate against the REST API.

If users on your instance are authenticating against the REST API but do not have Atlassian Accounts, you'll need to convert them to Atlassian Account. 

Kind regards,
Glauco Guimarães

Suggest an answer