JIra Integration with Bamboo

Charles Richard October 6, 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to see if it's possible when we close an issue in Jira to assign it a Bamboo build number in which the issue is fixed.

I know it's possible to assign a jira issue to a Bamboo build and then from Bamboo, see the issue list. This is working for us but not quite what we are looking for.

Thanks,

Charles

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2013

Make sure you have your integration configured properly, you'll need to set up a trust relationship between Bamboo and Jira as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Integrating+Bamboo+with+JIRA

If integration is configured correctly, when you check in code to SVN/Git if you put your jira ticket number like: "MYPROJ-1234 Code updated to fix blah blah blah". Jira and Bamboo will link the build to the MYPROJ-1234 issue. You'll be able to see the JIRA ticket number on the bamboo build page and see the bamboo build on the build tab on the Jira ticket.

There is some stuff in Fisheye (assuming you have Fisheye) that will let you change the jira ticket on commit so I guess you could theoretically put all the jira ticket numbers in your tag comment applied when you tag a build in your repository (assuming you do that) and if you put something like MYPROJ-1234, MYPROJ-1235#close it should close the jira ticket for you. Haven't used that, but I've seen how it works sort of when people put MYPROJ#1234 in the checkin comments instead of the correct MYPROJ-1234. (hint, the smart commit fails and the admin becomes confused :))

I know that this is probably not what you were looking for either, but ...

You can read more about smart commits here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Using+smart+commits

Charles Richard November 11, 2013

Thanks for the reply Gretchen, much appreciated!

I looked at the article you posted above on the integration between Bamboo and Jira and It looks like I don't meet the Bamboo version requirements as our version is 5.0 so that could be an issue.

We don't use Fisheye and we are only using CVS for the time being. I'll look at the smart commits to see if that would meet our need. I'm very visual so it helps for to go look at visual information to see how this would all work.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

0 votes
Charles Richard November 13, 2013

Actually found out this morning going through the Bamboo log that one url wasn't allowed in our application link. Once I added this url, I could see the Bamboo build in the "Builds" tag of our jira issue.

In case this would help someone else.

Cheers,

Charles

0 votes
Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

You might look on that page and see if there's a link for "other versions" of your apps. Most of the integration has been there for awhile. I know I was integrated between bamboo in version 4+.

0 votes
Charles Richard October 7, 2013

Our Bamboo version is 5.0 and our Jira version is 5.1.5, downloaded versions.

I found this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Viewing+the+Bamboo+Builds+related+to+an+Issue but I don't see build numbers under the "Builds" tab nor can I find a "View Development tools" permission for our project.

Thanks,

Charles

Suggest an answer