JIRALockedError

Chris February 11, 2014

JIRA Startup Failed. Plugins are failing to start. Running JIRA 5.2. Only change was switching network IP addresses. KB says to remover .jira-home.lock file. Atlassian JIRA service is using file so can't be removed. Stop service file disappears. Need help!!

3 answers

0 votes
Suhas Patil August 9, 2015

I was facing this issue due to the unsupported JIRA version. I was testing on JIRA 6.4.9 and it was giving JIraLockedError. Wasn't working even after deleting lock files, .bundled-plugins/ folder and the .osgi-plugins/ as suggested, then i switched to lower JIRA version and it worked. 

0 votes
Chris February 27, 2014

We found one more instance of the old IP address range that was keeping the plugins from starting up. I have since lost the exact location of the "hidden" instance. We used a search to find it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2014

You're trying to do too many things at once. Removing the lock file only applies in certain circumstances, and it doesn't sound like you're in one of them.

I'd try to start clean. Shut down Jira. Check it's all stopped with a basic ps -ef command (or digging through windows task manager if you're stuck with running it on windows). Then you can remove the lock file. At that point, I usually recommend moving all the logs out somewhere safe. Then restart it, and see what happens, and if it fails, you've got small, short clean logs to help you debug the problem (they're probably short enough to simply post here if you moved the old ones)

Chris February 11, 2014

I am running it on windows. So when I shutdown the Atlassian JIRA service, the lock file disappears but then of course I can not use a browser to connect to JIRA without that service running. As soon as I start the service the lock file comes back. The service itself starts and stops cleanly. When trying to access JIRA through a webclient I get the following discription of errors:

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)

Embedded Gadget Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)

Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)

Atlassian JIRA-Plugins-look and Feel Logo Upload Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.lookandfeel)

Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)

Atlassian JIRA-Plugins-Gadgest Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2014

The lock file is there explicitly to stop you running a second instance of Jira by accident. It disappears on shutdown to tell the next attempt to run that it is ok. The lock file sounds like it is working as intended.

The usual cause of this problem is virus scanners (windows AV has to be implemented in an appallingly bad way and it breaks all sorts of stuff. Sadly including Jira) or lack of resources.

Have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Troubleshooting+JIRA+Startup+Failed+Error

Suggest an answer