JIRA5.2.6 hangs on when importing data from JIRA 4.3.4

kulinskyvs February 13, 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to install a JIRA 5.2.6 platform using the data from JIRA 4.3.4. I've installed the latest standalone JIRA (5.2.6) and created an XML backup from exsting 4.3.4 JIRA server.

However, when trying to import the data it looks the JIRA hangs on when launching automatic upgrading task. Here is an extract from the atlassial-jira.log file. The custom field "Acceptance" (the field on which the upgrading process hangs on) is just a simple "Select list" custom field.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

are you trying to import the xml during the setup process?

if so could you just finish setup and import afterwards?

i think there were some changes made to customfields

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Changing+Custom+Field+Types

you log lines...

Custom field searcher module: com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:selectsearcher is invalid. Null being returned.
Custom field searcher module: com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:radiosearcher is invalid. Null being returned.
Custom field searcher module: com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:userpickersearcher is invalid. Null being returned.

maybe try upgrading to a 4.4 before you go on 5

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+5.0+Upgrade+Notes

Thank you for your answer. Actually, I've tried the both options. The result is the same - JIRA hags on when trying to upgrade the field "Acceptance".

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+5.0+Upgrade+Notes#JIRA5.0UpgradeNotes-UpgradingtoJIRA5.0%28orlater%29fromJIRAversions4.0.0throughto4.3.x

The latest JIRA 4.4.x version is recommended for this process. The following resources in the JIRA 4.4.x documentation are good places to start for upgrading to the latest JIRA 4.4.x release

i suggest followin these instructions...i bet everything after 4.4 will be smooth to upgrade to 5.x

I've tried your proposal - indeed, it works well when the data is imported in JIRA 4.4.x at first. So, I performed the following steps and obtained JIRa 5.2.6 with actual data:

• import JIRA 4.3.4 data to JIRA 4.4.x
  • create XML backup on JIRA 4.4.x
  • import newly create XML file to JIRA 5.2.6

Thank you.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013
You're welcome mate. Glad i could help. Enjoy the new release
0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

This looks like its behaving as normal. Depending on the size of the data, this can take a long time. Have you tried to just let it run for a while?

The process have been working for 18 hours without any additional log records. It seems to be too much to migrate only a single custom field.

Suggest an answer