JIRA workflows depending on condition

Richard Jones February 23, 2015

Hello

I would like like to have a transition between workflow states that is dependent on another factor. Consider I have a custom field called FIELD1. FIELD1 is a checkbox so is either true or false.

When I am IN PROGRESS then if FIELD1 is selected then I want it to go to NEW_STATE. If it is not checked then I want it to go to RESOLVED. 

Is this possible? I have checked this page and see VALIDATOR but I dont think this quite does what I want.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+workflow+configuration

Can I do this?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2015

The most simple approach is to have two transitions - one to "new" and the other to "resolved".  You use a "condition" on both of these - one condition says "if field1 is set" and the other "if field1 is empty".

The conditions hide transitions unless their criteria are met, so with mutually exclusive conditions, you will only ever see one of the two transitions.

The other approach is to use the auto-transition tricks to bump from one status to another during/after the original transition, but that's a bit ugly.

Richard Jones February 23, 2015

Thanks Nic, I'll take a look at this in a minute

Suggest an answer