JIRA workflow

Tukaram Bhukya [L&T INFOTECH] June 18, 2014

Please some one can help me in below queries

1) Is it possible to have more than one active person assigned to an action. For example, they want to have an Assignee, an Owner, a Planner and possibly a Manager who would all be the same fields as “Assignee” is currently.

2) Is it possible to program the workflow so that once the Assignee marks the action complete, the action is automatically reassigned to the Owner who will assure and close it.

3) They want a progress field which would probably be a pulldown list of percentages complete. Can the Planner be notified whenever this field is updated.

1 answer

2 votes
Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Hi Tukaram,

Yes, it is possible.

1. Add one new custom field (of type user picker) for each role you want to assign the ticket to. E.g. Owner, Planner and Manager. You can then use various screens to ask for input in relevant transitions. You may want to add the Owner at creation and maybe Planner when the issue has been accepted.

2. This is solved by the post-function of the transition in concern. E.g. you have a transition called Complete. In its post-functions you will add setting the assignee to the value of Owner

3. This could be solved by adding a new custom field (of type select list) You will add the following values to the select list, e.g. 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.

In order to notify on change in this specific field I you could check out the Notification Assistant for JIRA plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.notificationassistant) This plugin lets you create specific notifications based on field changes.

I hope this helped!

Cheers,

// Svante

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Just one comment more. The user picker fields you add will NOT have the assignee related features that comes with JIRA. They are only for the system field Assignee. I.e. notifications, permissions and other built-in stuff. The custom fields you add will just hold the information about who has the specific role for that issue

Tukaram Bhukya [L&T INFOTECH] June 18, 2014

Thanks for quick reply

based on my understanding for below query we no need design separate workflow , we can achieve this with custom field , is it correct ?

Is it possible to have more than one active person assigned to an action. For example, they want to have an Assignee, an Owner, a Planner and possibly a Manager who would all be the same fields as “Assignee” is currently

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2014

Mmm, repeating the question isn't a lot of help, especially when Svante has already given a very clear and detailed answer. He said to add custom fields and what types to add and how to use them.

I'd like to emphasise his point about assignee too - assignee is *always* a single user. You can't (and shouldn't) change that. The fields Svante has told you about run alongside assignee (you can easily completely ignore assignee too), but won't quite replace it as some internal functions rely on a single assignee being there.

Suggest an answer