JIRA workflow

Pushparaj Bhaskaran November 11, 2013

The following is my workflow for a User Management system.
Create > Open->Manager Approve ->System Approve>Approved->Closed

The systems are various in this case , let us say JIRA,Windows,Linux which are given as checkbox options in the create screen. If an user needs access to JIRA and Windows , he need to check both the boxes and then his team manager approves. I'm fine until this step , once the Team Manager approves , the issue needs to go into System Approve status . Here the systems are "JIRA and Windows" respectively . Both are managed by different team admins . Hence need to give an option somewhere in this flow such that that particular admin approves his/her system and only if all these systems are approved , should the issue transition into Approved state.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Hi Pushparaj,

Why not use Components instead of checkbox? So your project will have three components

1. Windows

2. JIRA

3. Linux

You can also assign it automatically to the appropriate component lead for approval and put a Component Lead condition for the Approval step.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Component

Thank you

Bhushan

Thanks Bhushan

I see what you are pointing at .Say I defined them in the screen, and the user chooses two component/s .The Team Manager approves the same and the issue is in System Approve screen.
How can I give Component Lead Condition in this step to allow transition based on the leads of these two components allow ?

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Use this plugin here.

https://bitbucket.org/bhushan154/jira-component-lead-workflow-condition/downloads

It is a workflow condition to allow the transition only if the user is a lead to any of the issue components selected.

Haven't tested it yet. Let me know if you have any issues or raise it at

https://bitbucket.org/bhushan154/jira-component-lead-workflow-condition/issues?status=new&status=open

Also check out www.jiradev.com for simple workflow tutorials

Cheers

Bhushan

Well, what if two or more component/s are involved . The transition will be allowed if one of the component leads does it , which should not be the case .Also hypothetically the trasnition can occur only once , so how to accomodate two or more approvals ?

0 votes
Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2013

I would consider using sub-tasks so that you can assign one for each manager/system. Or say that the reporter must report one issue per system since you have different people working on it. Will it be the same later on in the flow?

Susanne,

Thanks but that really is not an option . I would want them to choose one component per request to ease this flow, but they have the flexibility to choose more than one.

If no option exist/s that is what is the best to offer :)

Suggest an answer