JIRA workflow post function executing external script

Vinh-Thach Nguyen May 20, 2014

I would like to execute an external script when a new issue is created. I guess I can use Script Runner or maybe other better methods you may suggest. My question is how I pass the key of newly created issue to the script.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Hi Vinh-Thach,

If you run the script as a Script Post-Function from your Create transition (in the workflow) JIRA automatically injects some variables. To access for instance the id of the new issue you do:

issue.id

Hope this helps?!

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Hi Vinh-Thach,

This is how to do it:

1) Install the script runner plugin

2) Add a Script Post-Function to the workflow transition (Create transition) and write a custom script for this transition. Make sure your script file also has a package, f.e com.example.

3) Point to the script in the Script file path field of the post function configuration. First add the package name, followed by the class name, f.e com.example.HelloWorld

Your script file (called HelloWorld.groovy) will look something like:

package com.example;

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue

log.info "Issue id: " + issue.id

Vinh-Thach Nguyen May 21, 2014

Hi Benji,

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I'm able to make that work for my need.

Vinh-Thach

Suggest an answer