JIRA workflow go back to previous step

RonaldS September 26, 2017

My workflow ends with STATUS DONE. But, users are selecting DONE and then changing their minds. But, there is no option to go back.

When I edit the workflow, I try to add a transition from DONE to a previous step, but I get an error message that I cannot make that change to a workflow in DRAFT. But, I cannot edit the workflow unless it is in DRAFT. Makes no sense.

How do I simply add an option for the user to go back to the previous step?

1 answer

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2017

In some cases, you will have to make the workflow inactive, not just a draft. Copy the workflow to a new version, make the changes there and then update the workflow scheme with the new version of the workflow.

RonaldS September 27, 2017

Thank you, Jobin. I was able to make the workflow changes as you suggested. But, when I go to publish the workflow scheme, on step 1 of 2 I get a big warning that all the statuses need to be changed in order to be "compatible" with the new workflows. There are a bunch of workflows that are not mine and I am worried that the status for other groups will get changed for some reason. Plus, my workflow change did not add or delete any statuses, so I don't know why the message even comes up.

Any suggestions or assurances?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

It sounds like you have made significant changes to the workflow scheme, probably inadvertently.

Go back to the project and look at the "workflow scheme", just get its name for now.

Now go to Admin -> issues -> workflow schemes, find it and make a copy.

Go into the copy and find where your old workflow is used.  Replace it with the edited copy of the workflow.

Now go back to the project and change the workflow scheme to the new one.

This should preserve all your status for all issue types and not ask you about migrations at all.

RonaldS September 27, 2017

No significant changes. I just added an updated version of an existing workflow. But, I did not first remove the old workflow. It just replaced it with the new one when I selected the one issue type that it was associated with.

Could that be the problem? I need to remove the old workflow first and then add the updated workflow version?

There are many other workflows in this scheme but I did not touch any of them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

No, I meant significant change to the workflow scheme, not the workflow.

The workflow is the process flow.  The workflow scheme tells a project what workflow to use for each issue type within it.

You can't associate a workflow with a project or issue type directly, you have to do it with a scheme.

RonaldS September 29, 2017

It turns out the warning that worried me was just a generic warning and I was taking all of the appropriate steps. Upon executing steps 1 and 2, everything got updated (very quickly because I never changed any of the existing statuses, just added a workflow) and I now can recover from an accidental DONE status change.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. They all helped.

Suggest an answer