JIRA wizard-like create issue dialog

Sergey Shmarkatyuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

I want to create issues using "wizard" (step-by-step) approach. It means that I want to divide create issue phase into several steps. Good example is https://support.atlassian.com. In order to create issue there I need to perform at least 3 steps (I'm guided by support issue creation wizard):

1. Enter SEN
  2. Select issue type
  3. Fill in issue information

How could I achieve the same functionality in my JIRA without spending much time for custom development? Are there any plugins available? Or maybe you can provide some recommendations of how to create wizard-like create issue dialogs in JIRA?

2 answers

1 vote
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013
Sergey Shmarkatyuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Thanks for the tip.

But the thing is that I used support.atlassian.com as an example of what I would like to do with my jira by illustrating the concept. I do not want to do exactly what support.atlassian.com provides, but something similar - I want to be able to use 'Next' buttons instead of 'Create' on several pages with JIRA fields.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2013

The Atlassian support site is slightly different, but you can get close

What they've done is simple, and easy to replicate, except for step one, which needs some extra coding:

• The SEN functionality is extra and not available off-the-shelf. I don't know how they've done it, but I suspect a plugin and a tweak to the core code to take you to the extra function on the click of "create"
  • Jira already prompts for issue type separately when it doesn't already have it
  • Create custom fields you need to gather all the information
  • Create a new "create issue" screen
  • Divide it into tabs (you'll see Atlassian have three tabs on create)
Sergey Shmarkatyuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Thanks for the tip.

But the thing is that I used support.atlassian.com as an example of what I would like to do with my jira by illustrating the concept. I do not want to do exactly what support.atlassian.com provides, but something similar - I want to be able to use 'Next' buttons instead of 'Create' on several pages with JIRA fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2013

"next" is just a translation - you can rename the transition for the actual "create" and Naren's link tells you how to do the rest.

Suggest an answer