JIRA webhook performance : what to expect

Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

as we are registering more and more webhooks in our JIRA - I have wondered:

• how does it affect the entire system if webhooks are configured to be fired with every 'create' event, for example?
  • even if I  restrict events to a subset of issues via JQL - does it mean every issue-related event is still considered for a mulittude of wehooks?
  • how does it work internally?
    Let's say - I create an issue and JIRA goes through the list of all registered webhooks and tries to match it against each JQL and fires those callbacks?
  • If we create 100's of issues within short period of time - does it negatively impact the UI thread?
  • should we rather add custom events and add separate listeners? trying to find the right balance re: complexity/performance... I'd stick with webhooks as it seems to be the most generic approach, but does it come with a cost?

thank you

2 answers

1 vote
Pedro Felgueiras
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2017

The performance is a variable that depends on many factor. How are you mesuring the perfermance of your sistem? 

The webhooks are threads that run seperatly. So, if you server has "room" the UI threads shuldn't be afected to mutch.

I think the better solution is to create something like a proxy where you put the business logic that you need. For example, create only one webhook for create issue that is trigerd for all the issues, inside the service that is called by the webhook validate what you need to do. 

Isham Mohamed November 12, 2017

What if there are hundreds of updates happening per second? does having a webhook created affect the overall performance of jira? 

Brijesh Vikal November 15, 2018

If we have to enable Webhooks with JQL for only one project, will it still raise and send notifications of events for all projects in the Jira portal first and then filter on the project as per JQL for events processing?

We are interested in processing the events only on 1 project and hence we don't want the performance impact because of hundreds of other projects with several thousands of jira updates raising events on a daily basis.

Please explain how the webhooks behave with projects filter JQL to limit the events processing.

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68174

This should hopefully answer part of your question. So yeah, webhooks do seem to have a negative UI impact.

Suggest an answer