JIRA watch "user" or subscribe to user

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013

Hi,

in Bugzilla users can subscribe to other users so that they get informed about new issues etc. via email. Is there any way to achieve that in JIRA? The use case would be that teams have dummy users that are component leads. Every watcher would be informed as soon as an issue would be created and assigned to that dummy user...

I'm trying to avoid dozens of exchange accounts that would have to be maintained...

Any ideas are being appreciated,

Cheers Christian

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013

What about your "dummy user" in JIRA be associated to a distribution list email address? That way your entire team would be sent an email in case this dummy user gets assigned an issue (and notification scheme are configured to send emails to new assignees).

It does force you to create mailing lists, but you might have these anyway in your system.

hope this helps,

Jacques.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2013

Hey,

that's probably what we have to do. Problem is that the accounts don't exist and the process of getting a new account is kind of tedious where I work right now...

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2013
Oh yes, many ways. 1. People can create filters with jql containing updated and/or created conditions and subscribe to it. 2. Specific people or project roles can be added to notification scheme. 3. Use component lead in notification scheme (you don't needdummy accounts) 4. Add additional people as watchers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2013

Hey:

1. Filters and subscriptions are nice but not exactly what people might expect after using this functionality in Bugzilla. But I've thought of that too..

2. I only have one notification scheme per project but more that 400 components with at least 40 dummy users or dispatch users. That's not an option.

3. Thet component lead has to be a dummy user. I one team there might be 5 people who are ment to dispatch an issue. Those all have to be informed...

4. Can't work with issue watches. I only have one issue type so regular post-functions don't work, manually adding wtahcers is not an option either...

I'll probably have to get some new exchange accounts with rules or subscriptions. Those would have be be maintained though...

Thanks anyway

Suggest an answer