JIRA user creation with AD intagration

Philip Honnold October 17, 2017

Hello all,

I am looking for a point of clarity in regards to active directory, JIRA and user creation.  From reading the following page it seems that users are created automatically from my AD instance and I just need to give them application access.  But that isn't working for me right now.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/synchronizing-data-from-external-directories-802592362.html

I am just want to make sure I understand what really happen in regards to user creation in JIRA with AD.  Which of the following is true?

A. Users created in AD are sync'd to JIRA and to get them JIRA access they just need to be give application access, and any needed rights.

B.  Users need created in JIRA and linked to the User Directory for how they authenticate and given application access.  Then once a sync has completed they can login and access the application.

The reason I am asking is we have some new users in AD that aren't showing in JIRA.  My understanding was that option A, above, is what happens.  So either I have a problem or I have a misunderstanding of how this works.  Trying to figure out which.  

Thanks for any help.

Philip

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2017

Option A is the correct one. If your user directory is setup correctly new users should be listed in JIRA and all you have to do is add them to the application group. If you cannot see new users, make sure that they where added in the right node in the AD and that your base DN in JIRA is correct.

Philip Honnold October 20, 2017

Thanks for that.  I now need to figure out why some users in the same OU as others aren't showing up then.  Not sure what the problem is here.

Suggest an answer