JIRA usage for our daily stand-up

Ahmed Alghamdi August 8, 2017

hello guys, what is your thoughts about how JIRA can be used to help the scrum master facilatiting the daily stand-up?

Also, our team is bit large, about 20 members. and we found our dailies take at least half an hour to finish due to large size? any idea to satisfy agile framework in such cases?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2017

Hi Ahmed

A team size of 20 is definitely large - could you logically split into 2 teams? We're a team of 14, which we know is too big but deliberately don't want to split; we still manage the stand-up in 15 minutes!

Ensure that each team member talks about their progress in a few brief sentences, then move on. Save discussions and questions for after the stand-up.

Using Jira for your stand-up isn't necessarily going to make a difference to how long it takes.

It may be useful to describe your current stand-up process - do you use Jira? A physical board? Nothing?

Ahmed Alghamdi August 8, 2017

I't spretty tough honestly, hence i feel lost as a scrum master :( 

we have three team (designers in a country, front end in another country, back end developersas well as product owners and myself in ayet another country.

at 12 we call all teams to condusct the daily stand up. and of course there are many questions since the team is shattered all around the world, they wait for the chance to ask directly (altho I always try to let them interact and call as much as they want out of standup time, but they end up preferring to make use of the standup chance to talk about their issues in depth

we have boards, jira and all, but for the stand up we simply stand and talk, not over a board since the teams are not in one place :( about 20 people attend the meeting, but if i ask every single person to attend it would be close to 30 people. I do want all to update, but the team in another hand is not yet mature in agile leading to most of them feel like they are updating me of their status rather than committing to the team :( 

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

Hi Ahmed

Whilst people on this forum (or others) can try to advise you, it sounds as if you'd really benefit from having an agile coach spend some time with you and your company. It may not be easy to financially justify this to your managers, but will have fantastic benefits for the team(s) for the future. If you're struggling with stand-ups, it's most likely that you're also struggling with other ceremonies like sprint planning!

You, as the Scrum Master, need to keep reminding the team at the beginning of each stand-up to only answer the 3 questions :

• What did I do (achieve) yesterday
  • What am I planning on doing (achieving) today
  • Do I have any blockers

There are many slight variations to these questions, all work.

Also keep reminding the team to be brief and to save discussions for later (called the 16th minute). So if someone has something that they want to discuss, when it's their turn to answer the questions, they can say they want to talk about xxxx and you make a note of it, then once the stand-up is over, you go back and let them talk about it. Only people who are interested in that topic need to remain behind.

You as Scrum Master need to be very strict (certainly in the beginning) to try and get everyone on track with how a stand-up is run, then people will get used to the new format and hopefully it should speed up the stand-up.

I hope this helps you a bit, but do consider get in an experienced person for a short while to advise and help.

Warren

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2017

Also, consider reading a few good Scrum books - Kenny Rubin's Essential Scrum, A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process is an excellent piece - I've read it a couple of time salready

Ahmed Alghamdi August 13, 2017

you are amazing

1 vote
Regos Development Studio November 23, 2020

It has been a while since this was opened, but recently we worked on an app for async standups, so in case you are looking for an alternative to standups in Jira please take a look at Regos Team Status for Jira cloud we will are very happy to assist you with any question and feature request.

Have a great day!

Suggest an answer