JIRA update failed to start

Brian Hall October 21, 2012

Attempted to update JIRA 5.0.6 to 5.1.6. Keep getting the following message after launching JIRA service:

JIRA Startup Failed

You cannot access JIRA at present. Look at the table below to identify the reasons

Description

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)

Atlassian OAuth Admin Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.admin)

Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)

Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)

Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Look And Feel Logo Upload Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.lookandfeel)

Atlassian REST - Module Types (com.atlassian.plugins.rest.atlassian-rest-module)

Gadget Spec Publisher Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher)

Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)

Atlassian OAuth Service Provider Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider)

Atlassian OAuth Consumer Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.consumer)

Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)

Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)

Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - SAL Plugin (com.atlassian.sal.jira)

Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2012

This once happened to me because Jira was running with Java 1.7. Once I switched it back to 1.6 all went well. Logs will confirm if this is the case or not.

Hope that helps!

Brian Hall November 5, 2012

We did discover after reviewing the logs, that JIRA attempted to start using Java 1.7. We fixed the issue and now JIRA starts correctly.

Thanks,

Brian

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2012

Hi Brian,

The same kind of issue occurs to me during plugin development. This is worth a try. Check to see if you have any anti-virus installed.

I use mcafee and I disable three modules to start JIRA properly:

1. On-access scanner and two other modules that I can't think of right now as I am not on my windows system.

But basically, disable your anti-virus and give it a try

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2012

Hi Brian,

Might need to review your atlassian-jira.log which is located in <JIRA_Home_Dir>/logs/ for review. However judging from issue description, this knowledge base article might be related to your issue:

Please review the above article and se if it helps. If you have not configure the amount of heap space available for JIRA, you might want to increase the allocated memory space instead of using the default configruation. Please review the following documentation for detailed information on how to increase JIRA memory:

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Suggest an answer