JIRA to JIRA integration

Liam Maeder June 21, 2021

Good Morning

I am running Jira Server and I would like to create a script that can communicate with an external Jira instance, which belongs to a customer of ours. 

The reason for this is to have some form of automation between the two that will update in Live time and sync without manual interference. 

I have the following plugin installed to run scripts, JS Includer. I am hoping someone here has experience and could assist me in writing a script or point me to the documentation that can assist me in setting this up?

Thanks and Kindest Regards. 

1 answer

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Hi @Liam Maeder

I'm afraid that the plugin you've mentioned doesn't seem to be suitable for your use case. It allows adding JS scripts to the Jira UI so that you can alter the Jira behavior. In theory, you could create some JavaScript which reaches out to the other Jira, but I'd suggest other paths which seem more reliable to me:

• Write some script outside of Jira and utilize the Jira REST API to get updates and make modifications.
  • Use a server-side scripting app inside Jira like Scriptrunner or PowerScripts. Here you could add scripts which will be run whenever an issue is updated or transitioned (as a post-function).
  • Use an issue sync app, then you don't need to create and maintain custom scripts, but simply configure everything in the UI of the app.

That's the options, I can think of - you can choose yourself what fits best to you and your use case.

Cheers,
Matthias

PS: I'm part of the team of Backbone Issue Sync, one of the issue sync apps.

Suggest an answer