JIRA system dashboard - missing permissions

Jörg Bofinger October 5, 2017

Hi community,

i've a phenomenon wich I can't  understand...

My colleague an me, both are users with "jira-system-administrators" privileges - among others - aren't able to reconfigure the system dashboard.

The messgae we thereby receive  is "...Sorry, you do not have permission to modify this Dashboard..."

What could the reason for this purpose be?

What ca we do to get back the permissions?

THX in advance

Jörg

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2017

You're not looking at the system dashboard, you're looking at someone else's dashboard (probably a copy of he system one)

To edit the system dashboard, go to Admin -> System Dashboard.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2017

How did you understand it is copy not System?

From question I understand it is System, but problem with permission on group level.

@Gonchik Tsymzhitov - You are right... my question is about the system dashboard...

I'am absolutely wondering, because I can't remember that anybody has changed something within the global permissions...espeacyly not for the jira-system-administrators???

What kind of permissions do I need? - I'am not sure???

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2017

1. Could you open this link?

{{JIRA_BASEURL}}/secure/admin/EditDefaultDashboard!default.jspa

Can you change it? 

2. If not please, review you permission in this sections before checking for which group you are membership

{{JIRA_BASEURL}}/secure/admin/GlobalPermissions!default.jspa

I hope it will help for you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2017

>How did you understand it is copy not System?

Because you only get "edit" on your own dashboards.

Administrators can *always* change the system dashboard, but only via the admin menus.

Hence, they must be looking at the system board and not remembering that the system board is only changed via admin, or they're looking at something that looks like it that they do not own.

Like Steven Schouppe likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2017

Hi! 

Could you check you group permissions below 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-global-permissions-861253290.html#Managingglobalpermissions-Grantingglobalpermissions

Looks like jira-system-administrators don't have enough permission on global level. 

I hope this answer will help you

Cheers, 

Gonchik

0 votes
Neil Gulati October 22, 2018

You get this error message if you go to view the System Dashboard, and then try to use the edit link on the top right triple dot menu.

To configure the System Dashboard you need to go into the administration menu and select "System Dashboard" under the "User Interface" item in the side bar.

0 votes

Thank you guys for your support!

Don't know why - but after a restart of the jira service it seems to work fine again...?

We have to observe if this phenomenon is a recurring one...

Suggest an answer