JIRA stuck at setting up database

Edward To June 4, 2013

I was able to install JIRA on my test server. I am now trying to install it on my production Windows server. JIRA won't go past the database creation. It seems to be stuck at "Please wait while database is set up...". My MySQL database connection test was successful. JIRA created tables in my jiradb database, but it's now stuck.

I have uninstalled JIRA two or three times, with reboots in between. I verified that port 8080 is available. On the production server, I have subversion running with Apache. I also have it running on my test server. My production and test servers are very similar.

I'm stumped as to why it won't go past the database creation. Any feed would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2013

What does your log file say?

0 votes
Luca Landi March 7, 2016

During a JIRA upgrade process, I found out that the Postgres database client program (pgAdmin for Windows) was hanging during the dump of the database and was "blocking" the database itself.

Trying to start JIRA there were no relevant messages in the log and the bootstrap was stuck at the database configuration after the "Database Checklist Launcher".

To solve the issue I just closed/killed the client and the hanging job. I was later able to start JIRA.

To obtain more details I installed the pg_dump command and I could better understand the nature of the issue. Trying to execute a dump it got stuck cause of the client hanging.

0 votes
Amit Rai March 3, 2014

I am also facing same problem here.I have checked my atlassian-jira.log

but there is no error but last paragraph of this file is looking like this

1988229788/6163/1/1.0/_/download/batch/jira.webresources:jira-setup/jira.webresources:jira-setup.js HTTP/1.1" 304 - 91 "http://localhost:8080/secure/SetupDatabase.jspa" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.117 Safari/537.36" "1sjswix"

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

As mentioned by Nic, we need to review your logs (atlassian-jira.log) which is located in <JIRA_HOME_Dir>/logs/.

Suggest an answer