JIRA stop working after a while

Moustafa Younes July 19, 2015

I uploaded and installed JIRA on my Linux web server successfully.

After I open it using URL:8080, it works fine for avout one/two minutes * may differ) then suddenly stop working showing the message " 

This webpage is not available

"

Then I stop jira, start JIRA again ,  still not working! 

After some time ,  it return to work normally!

Where may be the problem?

Note: I'm connecting using Google chrome on windows 7, in a network guarded by TMG.

Note: The server is working fine at time of JIRA down

3 answers

0 votes
Max Plank July 21, 2015

Our Confluence server was stable until we moved to 5.8.5 last Friday. Since then, it freezes frequently and requires a reboot by one of the admins.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2015

Same advice as for Jira - read the log files to see what is stopping.

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2015

Hi there,

From the attached log itself there isn't anything pointing to the reason of the instance being brought down. Could you confirm how you start the application? Also, do you have any scripts whatsoever running in this machine that could be stopping services / messing with ports?

Moustafa Younes July 20, 2015

Thank you for your help. Yes start the application and it works, then it suddenly stops working. There is no scripts running on the VPS rather than JIRA and a very small wordpress website

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2015

There's two things that could be wrong here:

1. JIRA is crashing.  Read the log file to find out what is going wrong with it
  2. TMG or some other part of your network is deciding to block access

You'll want to check the first one mostly...

Thank you for your help

But I don't understand the JIRA log, I'm new to JIRA and just installing it for the first time, So Could you plz help me more ? 

This is the URL for the JIRA log file :

http://customcompact.com/jira/logs/access_log.2015-07-20

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2015

That's the access log. You need to look at the application log - it'll be in your jira home directory, under logs, called atlassian-jira.log (I'm assuming you've not configured it away from the default there)

Ahaa, thanks, This is the file you mentioned : http://customcompact.com/jira-files/log/atlassian-jira.log Hopefully you can help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2015

That file seems to show that you're killing JIRA without warning while it is running. That would neatly explain why you're getting a 500 error - it's stopped. Are you running a development copy? Also, could you check another log (sorry!) - catalina.out in the log directory of the installation. I notice that you're using HSQL as the database

How do I know that I'm running development copy? The log you mentioned is here: http://customcompact.com/jira/logs/catalina.out And yes I'm usign HSQL

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2015

Ok. There's a reason buried in the catalina.out. It's stopping dead because it runs out of memory # There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue. # Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 110100480 bytes for committing reserved memory. # An error report file with more information is saved as: Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing what that is. You may genuinely have too little resource for the volume of data. But you may have an addon leaking memory. I don't actually know exactly how HSQL works, but it is an in-memory database, and if that is eating up JVM resource, JIRA may be left with too little to run properly. There are two things I would do here: 1. Stop using HSQL. You need to do that anyway - it is only suitable for short-term test use, it's not usable for a system where you can't afford to lose the whole system. It's great for dev and test, running something quickly for a couple of hours, but it can, and will, fail catastrophically at some point, and you could lose everything. So not for production! 2. You could try increasing the heap memory - I'd recommend increasing it gradually in most cases (add 256Mb at a time, don't just give it a huge volume from nowhere - it's not a simple "more memory helps", you can actually cause more problems by just increasing it in one huge step). But your settings are below 1Gb at the moment, and I've never seen any issue with increasing memory up to 1Gb.

Moustafa Younes July 22, 2015

Thank you very much.. Got it

Suggest an answer