JIRA: setup smtp server for incoming mails

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2012

hi,

I'm looking for a step-by-step documentation (that includes ALL items) that one needs to follow in order to set up JIRA to accept incoming email through SMTP.

There is this article that relates to Gmail, but I need this for my own company email server.

I also need to know how to setup secure smtp server.

Anyone has knowledge and experience with setting this up?

thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2012

Um, there isn't anything for setting Jira up to accept incoming mail through SMTP. SMTP is generally for sending and transporting mail to mailboxes, which you then talk to with IMAP or POP, or other mailbox protocols.

If you want Jira to send emails, you give it the settings for an SMTP server - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Email+Notifications

To receive them, you connect it to an IMAP or POP server, as per https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

If you're using another type of mail, you'll need to be able to convert it to one of those two, or possibly drop incoming mails to file (As it can read files as though they're a mail box)

Setting up the mail server for SMTP, IMAP and POP is more a case of "look at the docs for your chosen server" and then give the account details to JIra.

Vinícius Ferrão May 28, 2019

Actually SMTP can be used for receiving. It's a transfer protocol, not a "sending" protocol.

IMAP and POP have users in mind, not services. Since they need a user and password. Which envolves creating a mailbox.

SMTP would allow direct submission to Jira, if Jira could receive a RAW mail message. Like a lot of other softwares: osTicket, OTRS, Redmine, etc.

As far as I know, Jira is unable to do that as today, May of 2019. If someone know a solution without creating a mailbox with POP or IMAP access, please let me know.

Like Rachel Martz likes this

Suggest an answer