JIRA service is not installing

My Kro May 8, 2013

Windows Server 2008 R2. JIRA 5.1.4 was previously installed with the automated installer. I wanted to change its directory to the D: drive.

- Start > "Uninstall JIRA".

- Ran 5.2.6 installer, 'Custom' method, changed "C:" to "D:" in the two path options.

- JIRA did not run. Found that the service was still pointing to the C: location - clearly it had not been uninstalled, let alone re-installed. I executed "sc delete JIRAxxxx" at command line to remove it.

- Ran 5.2.6 installer again. 'Upgrade'. Still no service. Thought maybe 'Upgrade' doesn't re-register the service, so started from scratch.

- Start > "Uninstall JIRA".

- Rebooted machine.

- Ran 5.2.6 installer again (new install). Still no 'Atlassian JIRA' service.

It seems something is preventing the service from being installed again even when JIRA is installed from scratch. Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2013

Hey there, My Kro.

Can I confirm that you have followed the steps from the official documentation as per the following:

Else if you are still facing problems with installing JIRA as a service, I would recommend you to lodge a support ticket in https://support.atlassian.com/ to get assistance on this problem that you are having. Hope this helps a bit.

Warm regards,

Danial

My Kro May 12, 2013

Thanks for the response, I tried the steps as follows:

D:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\Java\jre7
D:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>java -version
java version "1.7.0_21"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.21-b01, mixed mode)
D:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>service.bat install JIRA
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

This helped me to discover the problem: another user had changed JAVA_HOME on the machine. I then ran into a different issue with 'Access denied' but that is unrelated so I will resolve this question. Thanks.

1 vote
Gaurav Verma May 8, 2013

Hey My Kro,

Check to see if JIRA service exists in services.msc console before installing again. You can uninstall a service by using

sc delete <servicename>

Hope that helps.

Gaurav

My Kro May 12, 2013

I have the opposite problem - the service does not exist in services.msc even after installing.

James Shablow July 20, 2018

I know this is old, but I was unable to install the service until I deleted an old one left over from a previous install. 

Thank you!

Suggest an answer