JIRA server specs Edited

Will be looking for a JIRA server and wanted to find out if is this all self contained. Is it best to create a separate DB server with a frontend? Want recommendations for initial setup. What type database does this use?  We currently use redmine.

Wondering what is the path for the application and DB for JIRA server. Was going to setup a VM with 4G mem, 16G storage for OS and 100G storage parav for aplication.

1 answer

0 vote

A 4Gb server is more than adequate to run a new Jira for a few people, even if you put the database server on it as well.  I'd give the Jira service 1Gb memory, most database servers won't need a huge amount, and remember you need to give the operating system some space in memory too.

I would strongly recommend using a supported database.  Jira ships with an internal one, which is ok for a bit of trial or testing, but can fail catastrophically without warning. 

The "right" database of the four supported ones is usually easy to decide.  Pick the one you have the most experience with.  If you have absolutely no preference, then go with PostGreSQL, as it's the one Atlassian uses for Cloud and development.  MySQL is the second choice, Oracle third, and MS-SQL a distant fourth.  But that's 5% of the decision - 95% of it is "which one do you want to support"

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

119 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you