JIRA's system reports permissions

Robert Bush December 19, 2013

I need the ability to control users access to the default system reports. But I do not see where this can be accomplished.

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Bush December 20, 2013

Thanks for looking into.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2013

Ah, ok, so removing them completely is a valid thing to do.

I can't remember exactly which plugins you'll need to look at, but work your way through all the plugins on the "manage add ons" page. You'll mostly need to be looking at "system" plugins, and when you find ones that say "reporting", you should find each report is listed as a module, which you can disable.

Do this one at a time, and don't turn off the entire add-on - just the modules.

Yeah, I saw most of these inder the reports plugin. But it says the following:

"These add-ons are integral parts of your JIRA system. They cannot be uninstalled. Disabling or removing them will have serious effects, and could make JIRA inoperable. Only make changes here if instructed by Atlassian Support."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2013

Yes, that is a generalised warning because it's a minefield to know which ones might be dangerous to disable.

However, as long as you are ONLY looking at reports, AND you only shutdown modules rather than whole plugins, (and no shared modules! Just the report modules) then you should be fine.

Robert Bush December 20, 2013

Don't know if it makes a difference but I probably should have led off with I am using on demand, I am not hosting it.

It does not look like I have sysadmin rights, so I assume this was the reason why.

So I am not sure if I should have sysadmin rights, or if this is not possible for me to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2013

Oh, right, well I'm afraid you're stuck then. You can't mess with plugins in OnDemand.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2013

There is no ability to restrict access.

The reports will not leak information about any issues that the user cannot see though, so there's no real need to restrict them.

The reason is not security related. The issues in the system were initially created by and for developers from emails just to track for personal use. So the dates created, resolved etc. are not accurate.

Now it is being rolled out to be used as an actual ticket system. We want to leave the history, but most of these reports will be inaccurate. The users do not need the reports even if the data was accurate. And rather than have to explain this to every new user it would be best if this feature could be disabled or restricted.

Suggest an answer