JIRA project as Active or Inactive

Vishal Bisa June 30, 2015

I want to find a mechanism so that users can only input time against approved projects. 

JIRA team: I would like you to investigate following

1) the ability to identify a project as Active or Inactive;
2) the ability to restrict the user’s ability to log time against an Inactive project.

Admin to add / change list of Active projects. Anything that is NOT active will be by definition be inactive.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2015

How you mark active/inactive projects is up to you.  Most of us use the project category, although that is purely a flag on the project, it doesn't change the project itself.  

The other thing most of us do with inactive projects is change their permission scheme to one that is clearly named something like "inactive project" and has no permission to do anything but read.  That solves the log-work problem as well

Can the inactive projects can be hidden ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2015

Yes - if you set the permission scheme to say "Browse project: <no-one>", then the project will disappear as far as most users are concerned. Admins will see it when they're in admin mode (they need to be able to maintain it), but not the issues within it

Thanks a lot for the info, will get back if i have any doubts

Suggest an answer