JIRA project as Active or Inactive

I want to find a mechanism so that users can only input time against approved projects. 

JIRA team: I would like you to investigate following

1) the ability to identify a project as Active or Inactive;
2) the ability to restrict the user’s ability to log time against an Inactive project.

Admin to add / change list of Active projects. Anything that is NOT active will be by definition be inactive.

1 answer

0 votes

How you mark active/inactive projects is up to you.  Most of us use the project category, although that is purely a flag on the project, it doesn't change the project itself.  

The other thing most of us do with inactive projects is change their permission scheme to one that is clearly named something like "inactive project" and has no permission to do anything but read.  That solves the log-work problem as well

Can the inactive projects can be hidden ?

Yes - if you set the permission scheme to say "Browse project: <no-one>", then the project will disappear as far as most users are concerned. Admins will see it when they're in admin mode (they need to be able to maintain it), but not the issues within it

Thanks a lot for the info, will get back if i have any doubts

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,968 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot