JIRA plugin v2 Apache POI XMLEventFactory: Provider com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxEventFactory not found

Victor Cheung January 23, 2018

Hi,

I've added the Apache POI dependency to my JIRA plugin in order to add the ability to create Excel spreadsheets.

I've been able to create a simple spreadsheet with data populated in cells using the HSSFWorkbook.  But when I change my code to use the XSSFWorkbook (instead of HSSFWorkbook, all other code unchanged), then I'm getting the following run-time error:

java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: javax.xml.stream.XMLEventFactory: Provider com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxEventFactory not found 
// Workbook workbook = new HSSFWorkbook(); // this works
Workbook workbook = new XSSFWorkbook(); // this gets the run-time error

Can this be some sort of jar conflict?
Here is the Apache POI dependency that I added to my pom.xml:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.poi</groupId>
<artifactId>poi-ooxml</artifactId>
<version>3.15</version>
</dependency>

I looked up the jar that has the com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxEventFactory class and it belongs to wstx-asl-x.x.x.jar ... do I need to add a dependency to this?  Or add it to the Import-Package section?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Victor Cheung January 24, 2018

I found the solution!  I added another dependency (a jar library which contains the com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxEventFactory class) so the following is what I needed in my pom.xml:

<dependency>
<version>3.15</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>com.ctc.wstx</groupId>
<artifactId>woodstox-osgi</artifactId>
<version>3.2.1.1</version>
</dependency>
0 votes
Martin Dulák December 17, 2018

What fixed it for me was having following dependencies:

<dependency>
<version>3.17</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

<!-- BE AWARE! It is absolutely crucial for wstx-asl to be bundled with plugin although it is present in Jira as well. -->
<!-- Jira version is not exported and it is a known bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-26214 -->
<!-- This artifact is supplemental for Apache POI library. -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.codehaus.woodstox</groupId>
<artifactId>wstx-asl</artifactId>
<version>3.2.4</version>
</dependency>

And running creation of XSSFWorkbook in different context:

XSSFWorkbook xssfWorkbook;
try {
xssfWorkbook = ContextClassLoaderSwitchingUtil.runInContext(WstxEventFactory.class.getClassLoader(), (Callable<XSSFWorkbook>) XSSFWorkbook::new);
} catch (Exception e) {
throw new IllegalStateException("Cannot create XLSX workbook with WstxEventFactory class loader.");
}

Suggest an answer