JIRA - out of Memory issue!

Neeraj Tiwari September 27, 2012

Hello, attached, please find the JIRA logs. It clearly says at around 10: 02 AM today, JIRA went Out-of-Memory. I restarted JIRA and it is working fine now. Please see the logs and tell if there is any other issue that I might have missed...The memory assigned to JIRA right now is as follows:

Total Memory 768 MB

Free Memory 309 MB

Used Memory 459 MB

I am thinking to increase it to around 2 GB(in max memory memory pool) unless you guys have any other idea.

Thanks,

Neeraj

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2012

The question is: what were you dong at 10:02? What services might have been running. It may not be necessary to go from 768Mb to 2Gb straight away. More memory comes with (GC) overhead

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2012

Hi Neeraj,

I wouldn't recommend that you increase the max memory pool that much because you can actually have problems if the Heap is too large, so instead I would recommend that you increase it by 256MB so that your max memory pool is 1024MB, (assuming that the Out-of-Memory Error is indeed related to the Heap Space). The other thing I would recommend is that you also set the min memory pool to 1024MB because if the min and max memory pools are the same size this will prevent memory address swapping and prevent the JVM from wasting resources resizing the Heap Space.

All the best,
John

Neeraj Tiwari October 14, 2012

Thank you for your response. I liked your idea about assigning the same size to the min and max memory pool.

Update: I have increased the max memory to 1.5 GB and since the last 2 weeks we have not faced any issue. The min memory is still 256 MB. Since we are not facing any OOM issues in JIRA currently, I won't touch it for now. Let me know what you think.

Suggest an answer