JIRA not syncing BitBucket Users

George Irwin January 10, 2013

I was under the impression that commits from BitBucket users would be linked/attributed to JIRA users whose email address matches that of the BitBucket user?

However, in my Recent Activity, I see details of recent commits with the email address and BitBucket username instead of my JIRA username (and avatar etc). My JIRA email address and BitBucket/GIT email address are the same.... Shouldn't JIRA then identify my JIRA username and avatar with that commit?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Irwin January 15, 2013

As Razaq correctly pointed out, the userbase for BitBucket and JIRA are not the same, but I hear that is going to change quite soon and will therefore solve my problem..... All being well.

1 vote
Mark Aufflick September 16, 2013

Is there no chance of having a way of mapping the emails? Eg. adding additional emails to a Jira account? When you hire developers these days they're all going to have their own GitHub and BitBucket account (and having more than one is akward). This is only going to get more of an issue over time.

0 votes
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Does your local Git client config (/.gitconfig) Email address match your JIRA Email address? only then it will be mapped correctly.

Yes, my email address is the same in my local repo (confirmed using 'git config user.email') and in BitBucket and in JIRA......

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

Sorry, I believe I misread your question. This is expected, it will show the information of the BitBucket user as that's is where the DVCS Connector gets it's information about commits/commiter. For more details you can refer to:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Linking+a+Bitbucket+or+GitHub+repository+with+JIRA+OnDemand

Oh. Is there no way to attribute commits to JIRA users? Perhaps that will be possible in future versions as BitBucket integration improves? I suppose the best solution would be to have one identity between JIRA and BitBucket, rather than two as is the case now.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

The reason is that infact your JIRA user base and BitBucket userbase are different. I'm not sure if in the future this will change. But currently only users with matching local Git and JIRA Emails will be able to make smart commits to action your JIRA issues, but other than that there's no integration of users.

Suggest an answer