JIRA not responding after install

David Rhoderick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

I am just trying out JIRA for the first time.  I have a BlueHost Linux server (looks like I have enough RAM at 4GB) that I would like to install it on for my team.  I don't know if it is important or not but it is a shared server and I am not an administrator.  I successfully "ssh-ed" into my server and installed JIRA in the root directory, following the instructions online.  I wasn't sure whether I should install in the root or public_html directory but it wouldn't let me do the latter.  It doesn't appear that I have any errors in my logs (what exactly am I looking for? "Fatal" or "Error?").  When I go to my webserver's address and port, ie: http://[website.com]:8080, I get the error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.

Here is my install log: .  I can also add information about my server if necessary.  I am sure something with my set up is incorrect but I don't know where to begin.

1 answer

1 vote
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2015

Hey David, according to your log file, you didn't configure your database.

What you could do is:

1. Stop JIRA and check if you still have any JIRA process, if so, you can kill it (#kill -9 PID)

2. Delete your dbconfig.xml

3. Run the JIRA Configuration tool (<jira-home>/bin/config.sh), set your database configuration

4. Start JIRA

Suggest an answer