JIRA mail delay

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

We've been having sporadic problems with mail coming from our OnDemand instance; mail sent to multiple folks in tests are taking upwards of 90 minutes to get out of JIRA, regardless of where the mail is being sent, including large mail providers such as gmail or hotmail.

The problem appears to be the mail queue outbound from Atlassian - I can send an email from there and get a response at numerous places less than a minute later, but other tests to the same folks show longer lead times - and everybody receives it at the same long lead time, so it's not the recipient's issue.

Is there any way to determine where something is in the Atlassian mail queue (not my JIRA instance to the Atlassian mail server queue - that part is very quick)? Or get an idea of the delay at the Atlassian mail queue? For a cloud-based SaaS instance, this is unusual - I would expect resources adjust to the needs of the system and not have such delays.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2012

Hi LeeC,

The behavior you're describing is really unusual and not within our expected response times for the Mail service inside OnDemand, can you please open a support request at https://support.atlassian.com so one of our Support Engineers can have a look on your instance and try to sort out what can be happening in your particular test case.

There isn't a really easy way for you to monitor the mail queue, usually once the mail leaves your instance queue the delivery to the target mail provider should take less than a couple of minutes in the majority of the cases.

Cheers,
Felipe Cuozzo
OnDemand Development

Suggest an answer