JIRA kicked me out after configuring Crowd

Matt D. Harris October 30, 2014

I think I must've done something stupid here.  

I've been using stash for a while and loving it.  I figured I'd setup crowd and JIRA to play with some new toys this evening.  I setup Crowd first, all went smoothly, and I got stash connected to it.  I can login to stash with Crowd credentials, and everything was running smoothly.  

So I setup jira, got logged in, and everything seems alright.  Then I connected it to Crowd.  The test passed, JIRA connected to Crowd successfully, bumped Crowd up to the top (just like I'd done in Stash which worked just fine), and JIRA promptly kicked me out.  It says that my user does not have permission to login to jira.  However, when I check the user / pass via the "Authentication Test" tab in the JIRA application in my Crowd interface, it says it was successful.  

Unfortunately I'm not able to login to JIRA at all at the moment.  If I have to blow JIRA away and start over it's no big deal, I hadn't done anything with it yet.  I'm just wondering what I did wrong here so that I can get it working correctly whether I do start over with it or not.  

Thanks!  

3 answers

1 vote
Matt D. Harris October 31, 2014

So it appears there're two issues.  

1> I used the same username setting up JIRA as my Crowd username.  This locked out the JIRA internal db user.  Woops!  

2> You need to have groups called jira-administrators, jira-users, and jira-developers and they need to exist on the Crowd side as well, regardless of any other Crowd groups or configurations, or you need to override those group names on the JIRA side.  

Hope anyone who googles for similar issues finds these.  I'm up and running now.  Thanks!  

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2014

Check both JIRA and Crowd logs when you are trying to login.

Common errors include not specifying the remote ip address of JIRA in Crowd, using wrong application password in configurations etc.

0 votes
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2014

It could be that your user isn't a member of the appropriate group in Crowd which grants the permission to log into JIRA. From memory (I'm a Crowd - not JIRA - developer), I think that by default that might be the jira-users group that you need to be a part of in Crowd?

If you can't figure it out, you can blow it all away or our support team can help you regain access (raise a support request).

Suggest an answer