JIRA keys after import continue with "old" keys

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2016

A while back, we had JIRA 3 and started a new server with JIRA 6. We imported the old issues we'd need or maybe would come in handy. These keys are very hogh, like 49700 and up.

I don't remember exactly what happened after the import, because we also have "new" ticketnumbers (looks random although we don't delete tickets). 

My question is: how can I get JIRA to start over with the keys, beginning at 1? 

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2016

Every project will have its own sequence of numbers. I suspect that the reason why yours are numbered 49700 and higher is that several attempts were made to import from the previous instance and then deleted until the import was deemed a success. 

For more detail on how (and why it is hard) to reset a project key to restart at 1 see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/228454.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2016

I don't think so... the keys in JIRA 3 are the same as in JIRA 6, because we wanted to keep the same ticketnumbers.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2016

So the migration from 3 to 6 retained the keys (and these were already at 49700 and up) Is it possible that some of the original issues in 3 were imported from another source? Either an even earlier version of JIRA or maybe by the use of CSV? The same principle would apply there of each key being uniquely assigned and even if the issue is deleted the key would be considered used.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2016

Remember not to set a key number lower than the highest numbered issue you already have. The obvious problem is that eventually the numbers will catch up (so if you have abc-50 in the project and you reset the counter to 1, JIRA will have massive problems when you reach abc-49 and try to create a new issue). But it also breaks some add-ons and reports in quite unexpected ways.

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Yes, we used a CSV to import all the issues. What now?

Suggest an answer