JIRA json import large file 500 MB

Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2015

Hi There,

I'm trying to import a large JSON file (500+ MB) into the JIRA system.  I had to change the system setting attachment file size to 500+ MB in order to load the JSON file, but after the file was loaded and clicked "Beginning Import", the Firefox browser just showed "Connecting..." and nothing happened for hours.  Does anyone know if there is a file size limit for JSON importer and how to resolve this issue?  Note that I had successfully imported JSON file size up to 75 MB.

Thanks,

Jay Chang

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jay Chang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2015

I divided the large JSON file into several 100MB or less JSON files and was able to import successfully.

padamitskiy August 30, 2022

Good day.
Your 500+ Mb Json file contains 1 or many tasks, is it true? If "YES yes", then I have a similar problem: I need to import  from Redmine 2000+ issues in one large Json file, but the problem is that only the last task is imported from the large Json, and the previous 1999 ones are ignored. What can be done ?

Thank you in advance.

Claus Schneider (eficode) August 30, 2022

What does the log say? 
did it skip the issues or ?

How did you generate the json from Redmine.. Could it be that is somewhat it not the correct structure for the importer?

0 votes
Claus Schneider (eficode) January 6, 2021

I just ran into this (again).. I had a server config of :

WIndows Server 64bit with:

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=384m
set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=2048m

I looked at the logs - no signs.. I opened a ticket with Atlassian and they gave me a hint that it might be memory, even though no log signs

I monitored the memory https://localhost:8080/secure/admin/ViewSystemInfo.jspa and I could see it bounced up to 90% and dropped again. It continue for a while and it seems it finally "gave up" ..

I changed the server config to:

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=2048m
set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=4096m

and tried again ..

I monitored the memory https://localhost:8080/secure/admin/ViewSystemInfo.jspa and I could see it bounced up to 90% and dropped again. It continue a few time, but then it finally passed to the next stage at it is supposed to do .. I then had JSON errors, but that is an other story and problem 

I hope the hint also fixes it for you guys if you run into the problem 

Suggest an answer