JIRA jira.i18n.title ignored by workflow

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2016

I am trying to change the title on one of our workflow transitions buttons using the jira.i18n.title property. The workflow is ignoring the property and my button is not being renamed. Have I configured it incorrectly? Are there additional properties I need to set? Here is what I have configured on the transition:

Property KeyProperty Value  
jira.i18n.titletodo.title

7 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2016

Instructions from the associated JIRA issue

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6798?focusedCommentId=58521&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-58521

1. Open the jar file atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/language_<language code>_<country code>.jar
  2. In that jar edit the file \com\atlassian\jira\web\action\JiraWebActionSupport_<language code>_<country code>.properties
  3. Add the translation to the file, for example:
    provideinfo.title = This is a test translation

4. Make sure you remember the key you used. Save the file.
  5. Restart Jira
  6. Goto your workflow in Jira (Administration -> Global Settings -> Workflow)
  7. Click on the transition you would like to translate
  8. Click on View properties of this transition
  9. Add the property:
    • Key = jira.i18n.title
    • Value = <key of the translation>
  10. Activate the workflow
  11. Repeat steps for each transition and language
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2017

I believe that Steven's response was accurate at the time in 2016.

With JIRA 7.3 and higher, the location of this plugin is no longer under the installation folder.  Instead this exists now in the [JIRAHOME]/plugins/installed-plugins/ folder.

Also the properties file could be in a slightly different path of that .jar file now.  For example in the JIRA 7.4.x version this file exists in the path of /com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/actions/BoardAction_de_DE.properties for the German translation.

But otherwise I was able to follow the rest of the instructions.  I saved this file back to the folder, zip the contents, rename this to a .jar, replace the translation jar, and restart JIRA to make this work in JIRA 7.3/7.4 versions

Like # people like this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2017

Thanks!

1 vote
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Sure,

Do the following, edit the workflow

edit-mode-workflow.PNG

Select the transition you want to update and click on edit next to Delete transition from above figure

update-transition-name.PNG

• Update the transition name and click Save

Regards

Chander

0 votes
Adam Dulberg July 17, 2019

I have a solution for those on CLOUD and using Service Desk (or applies to any project I suppose). Originally I copied the Jira Default Workflow, and same as everyone here, found no matter what I did, "START PROGRESS" was the transition [button] from Status A to Status B (where Status A is the first status after your create transition).

Looking at properties on that transition you see this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 5.03.36 PM.png

Simply delete jira.i18n.title that contains startprogress.title, and problem resolved. From there you should only see the name of your transition. The directions above are for hosted Jira and not cloud. 

Cheers Cloud folks.

0 votes
James Rogers May 24, 2018

Prop Key                    Prop Value

jira.i18n.submit   sd.workflow.itsupport.v2.transition.resolve.this.issue.submit

0 votes
Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Perhaps I am not explaining my self. I have a transition that I have named Return to To Do. I need to leave the name of the transition as-is, but I want the button to say To Do (not Return to To Do). I should be able to do this using the transition property jira.i18n.title.

After adding the property to the transition, the button name is not changed as expected.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

I'll try to explain how to use the properties in a new Answer. Can you explore the concept you're trying to achieve? I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

Michael Marley January 11, 2017

I am having this same issue.  Adding a jira.i18n.title key to a transition does nothing in my Core 7.3.0 install. Is this a known bug that is not being fixed?

Teja December 3, 2017

Hi Jeanne Howe,

Did you get solution for this? 

I also have the same requirement.

Thanks

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2017

Teju,

The only solution found was that from Steven Behnke (listed at the top).

Please note that with newer versions of JIRA, the file location has changed to <baseURL>/application-data/jira/plugins/installed-plugins

Jeanne

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

I would follow Chander's steps; using Properties is for translating workflow objects like transitions, not for changing the core name.

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Hi Jeanne,

To rename the workflow, please make the workflow inactive by unassigning it from associated workflow scheme and then rename and then add it back to workflow scheme.

Regards

Chander

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Chander, I do not want to rename the workflow, I want to rename one of the workflow buttons.

Suggest an answer