JIRA issues w/components defined - should filters / searches return results based on component?

Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2014

I have a project with several components defined and assigned to issues. When I navigate to project overview > components > click a component > click issues for that component - there are no results. I can confirm that there are issues with this component assigned to them. What could be going wrong?

I also cannot create a filter with this project and the component name to return any results. If I just search for the project, then I get all my project issues. If I add the component column to the results, I then can see the components of the result issues there - but again I cannot search strictly via components and have the issues with those components turn up in the results.

HELP!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2014

Ok, start by picking out a couple of issues that 

First, are your issues resolved?  I.e. are they showing something other than "Unresolved" (note that I really mean it about the italics - that's an important part of the question) when you look at them on the issue view?

Second, is the component field definitely filled correctly when you check the issue view?

Third, can you search for these issues (via project or assignee or something) and include the components column in the navigator?  Do you get components displayed there?

Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2014

Hi Nic, Thanks for your response. 1. Majority of issues are "Unresolved" (with italics). 2. Component field is definitely filled out when I view issues. 3. Yes, I mentioned this in my initial question. When I search for all issues via project = xx and add component column, it shows the component value. It's a strange result. I would expect to be able to search via component from issues search as well as through the project overview > component screens. Any thoughts?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2014

I just wanted to be 100% on those points. Next step - could you try re-indexing the project that one (or more) of these issues is in? Then try searching again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2014

Oops, and could you also check your list of custom fields for a field called "component" or "component/s"?

Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2014

Yup. There is a custom field called component for this project... Does that mean that the components defined for this field are not registering as native components?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2014

Ahh, I see. Well, it sounds like you've ended up with two component fields. So I suspect your searches and issue navigator are failing because you're searching for one of them using the other field. A really easy test (and possible fix) for this - rename the custom field from "component" to "our internal components" or something else just as obvious and very different from "component". This won't affect your data in any way, but will make it completely clear what you are searching for and what appears in the navigator.

Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2014

That was it. They have the same native jira components defined as their custom field "component" which has the same values defined. Thanks Nic!

Suggest an answer