JIRA issues list view - how to change column size?

huangbe June 17, 2015

I've been requested to display "Issue Type" within list view.

Base on this instructions,

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue+Table+Columns

I can select what to display. But when selecting "Issue Type", all I can see is a "T", and the Issue Type icon. I don't see the words.

Is there anyway to resize the column in list view? 

JIRA List Column Size.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

I'm afraid not - JIRA is trying to give you more screen space for the actual words on other fields, by representing your issue types with their icons.

Some places have silly issue type names (they say "six legged arthropod" instead of the more useful "Bug") and some languages have long words for concepts that people legitimately need as issue type names.  You don't want half your screen taken up with these over-long names, especially when they're shown everywhere, and drawn from a standard, and hopefully obvious, list.

Some thoughts though:

• There are some minor hacks you can do in core code to change that, but I recommend not bothering, because it's not fun maintaining it on upgrade (as well as ending up with less screen space).
  • I'd recommend setting some nicer icons, so that you can distinguish them more easily, and remember you can hover over the icons to get the name.  I'm particularly fond of changing the red-dot "bug" icon to some sort of representation of a six legged arthropod - that's instantly recognisable by almost everyone.
  • If you have the script runner addon, you can create a really simple scripted/derived field that looks at the current issue type and spits out its name as text.  Then your users can add that to their navigator display if they want the words.  (It's really simple - something like "return issue.getIssueType().getName()" )

Suggest an answer