JIRA issue page jumps to the bottom

Andrew DeFaria March 16, 2015

A user of mine complained about the following behavior in JIRA (6.3.15). Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Create JIRA Issue
  2. Add a number of comments so that you have to scroll to the bottom to see all the comments
  3. Go to the bottom of the page and add a comment
  4. Scroll to the top of the page and choose Assign to me or the pen icon to change the current Assignee

At this point you will be scrolled to the bottom of the page. My theory on this bug is that after entering a new comment to an issue that has a lot of comments you'll notice a blue bar on the left hand side indicating that the focus is on this comment. You can move the mouse up and down the other comments and they also will show this blue bar, but the blue bar on the last comment indicates input focus. Thus when you scroll to the top of the page and do Assign to me or click on the pen, you're signaling that you want to do input (perhaps type the person's name). But the input focus is at the bottom of the page so you get sent to the bottom of the page.

Another odd thing is that in our dev instance which is also on 6.3.15, this doesn't happen. I felt good that when I updated our production instance that this problem would go away. It hasn't!

Tested on Windows 7 on

• Chrome Version 43.0.2327.5 dev-m (64-bit)
  • Firefox Version 35.1.0
  • IE 11.0.9600.17633

All of them fail in the same way. Has anybody else seen this? Is there a fix?

3 answers

0 votes
Andrew DeFaria March 30, 2015

1.7 reportedly fixes this. Unfortunately it doesn't fix it at all.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2015
0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

I have not been able to reproduce this. I would try disabling all of your plugins, and ensuring you don't have any Javascript in your Announcement Banner, or your custom field descriptions. Then restart JIRA to see if the issue persists.]

That's kinda hard to do when we are talking our production instance. As I said, this doesn't happen on our dev instance - just the production instance.

Maybe I could try to make a copy of current production on a test instance but that would be a lot of work and with my luck it would result in a system that works anyway.

I'm gonna try comparing add-ons between dev and prod...

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2015

If you can not reproduce this on another system, then this is the best move forward. I would aim to do it during the weekend or a period of scheduled outage.

But I don't often get that opportunity from my client to take JIRA off line. I think a better approach would be to play with the add-ons in dev and see if I can break that to start behaving like production is.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2015

I totally agree. My recommendations around production only hold true if this can not be reproduced elsewhere.

Andrew DeFaria March 17, 2015

Got it! And I found it pretty smartly... I was adding a comment to our production JIRA and noticed there was this reply link and that if I used that I'd get a threaded comment. Further I saw those blue bars and on heavily quoted/threaded issues I would see multiple blue bars. I didn't recall that in the dev instance so I went back there and I didn't even see the reply link! Then the "ah ha" moment happened where I said "Oh yeah, Mike installed some sort of Threaded Comments add-on and probably didn't do that in dev. This add-on obviously is mucking with the last comment entered - I bet that is causing it!" and lo and behold I installed the Threaded Comments add-on into dev and the problem appeared. So it's off to that vendor to report the problem. Thanks!

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2015

Great to hear that! Is it this add-on? https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.threadedcomments.threaded-comments Because we made it, but do not provide support for it.

Andrew DeFaria March 17, 2015

Actually no it isn't. We're using https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/info.renjithv.jira.addons.threadedcomments.threaded-comments/versions#b100410. How and why this is different I don't know. Perhaps you could shed some light on this...

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2015

Friends, I will check this.

Suggest an answer