JIRA issue counter

Srikanth G May 23, 2016

our of our projects is creating issues with wrong issue numbers. I mean we had issues at 2877 last week and all of a sudden new issues are being created as 7010..next sample issue at 7056 and next sample issue at 7086... It is affecting only one project and rest of the projects appear to be fine (atleast for now) .. We are using email handler to create new emails in this project in addition to regular issue creation.. I suspect its beacuse of email handler since that is the only project that uses email handler.. Please help

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2016

The last time I saw this, issue creation via email was failing due to an email in the mail handler's inbox that it couldn't process (due to some invalid characters of some kind, I believe).  This caused JIRA to keep re-attempting, with each attempt consuming a sequence number.

To resolve that, one can either log in to the email account and delete the email (JIRA logs will show which one, but I'd imagine it should be the oldest one in the inbox), or else disable creation temporarily, and let the email handler consume all of the messages as updates only.  That should cause it to drop the one that is failing and consuming sequences.

For the record, I consider this a bug, somewhat.  If JIRA fails to consume a message, it should probably delete it, or move it to an investigation folder.  Beyond that, it shouldn't consume a sequence number unless creation succeeds.

Srikanth G May 23, 2016

Thanks Jeremy. Let me check those settings and get back to you if it works.

Srikanth G May 23, 2016

This is working fine now. @Jeremy Gaudet do you happen to see any documentation outlining this problem? i have to maintain documentation to show why I diabled email handler.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2016

I found another troubleshooting session that encountered it, but didn't look for documentation.  It's just a "thing".  I didn't file a bug against the mail handler blocking on an email, or consuming sequence numbers, unfortunately.

Suggest an answer