JIRA is not responding after schedule backup?

Sakthi Balaji June 25, 2013

Hi, We are using jira 5.0.1 and tomcat 6, we have installed the jira on linux server we are taking daily backup of both jira-home directory and database using script. During backup process we will stop the tomcat service and start the service once the backup is completed. The script is working fine most of the time, but some times the service gets started but while we use the application it takes more time to respond or sometimes shows service not available. If we check the tomcat service status, it showing service is running. The size of the jira-home directory is aroung 22Gb and its growing daily due to the JIRA XML backup. Please advise me on this issue.

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

You should switch off the XML backups and do database backups instead. And ofcourse remove all the previous backups barring a latest few!

Doesn't make sense to keep them all ;)

Sakthi Balaji June 25, 2013
But we are taking the database backup on midnight alone, i cant able to switch off the XML backup, i haven't tried that before :) Ok i will plan to move the old backup's. will that help me in this issue. Thanks, sakthi
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

You can remove it from Administration > Services.

Sakthi Balaji June 27, 2013
Thanks for your reply Jobin, but my organization wants me to have both the XML backup and DB backup. But i can remove the old projects from the JIRA-HOME and move it to separate drive.

Suggest an answer