JIRA is Ignoring Changed "forgotpassword.vm" Velocity Template File

O. Funkhouser February 5, 2014

I would like to modify the "Forgot Password" email in JIRA. Currently, it says:

This user account is managed in an external User Directory and JIRA is not able to update your password.

Please contact your System Administrator if you have any further queries.

I tried to change it by modifying the WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/text/forgotpassword.vm file directly and restarting JIRA, but the changes were ignored.

Here is the changed file:

#disable_html_escaping()

$i18n.getText("template.user.forgotpassword.reset")

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the email address associated with your JIRA account, please send a blank email to special-email-address@example.com to reset your password.

Once your new password is received, you may visit https://ldap.example.com/jira to set your password to something easier to remember.

Please contact your JIRA System Administrator if you have any further queries.

$i18n.getText("template.user.forgotpassword.lastshowlong", $params.get("password.hours"))

${baseurl}/secure/ForgotLoginDetails.jspa?username=$velocityhelper.urlencode($user.name)

#parse("templates/email/text/includes/userdetails.vm")

#parse("templates/email/text/includes/footer.vm")

Help?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
O. Funkhouser April 29, 2014

I found a solution. Modifying the template.user.cannotchangepassword.reset, template.user.cannotchangepassword.cannot, and template.user.cannotchangepassword.contact fields of the following file meets my needs.

atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport.properties

Is this the best/only solution?

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

Should have worked. What version of JIRA is it?

O. Funkhouser February 6, 2014

JIRA v6.0.8 Standalone ... running on CentOS release 6.4

O. Funkhouser February 6, 2014

Any idea where JIRA caches the templates? I know that I usually have to do a "kill -9" when shutting down JIRA. Is it possible that shutdown isn't cleaning up behind itself?

My only other thought is that there is a .jar file with this file in it as well. Are you aware of any such files?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2014

I asked you the version so that I could try it out. Given that you already downvoted, why bother huh? ;)

O. Funkhouser February 8, 2014

I apparently misunderstood the purpose of the up and down vote. My apologies.

I am still investigating this issue. If I identify the solution, I will be sure to post the solution regardless. I am going to try a virgin installation of v6.0.8 and see if there a plugin that may be interfering with the template.

Suggest an answer