JIRA integration with Selenium (C# .NET)

Paul Aldred-Bann August 10, 2015

I'm looking to integrate some automated testing (with Selenium Web Driver in .NET) with JIRA.  I first thought I could use Zephyr with ZBots, but since going down that path I've met a lot of required middle ware, plus ZBots seem to be 32-bit only and the whole thing ended up feeling like a hacky mess.

So given our CI environment (Subversion -> TeamCity) what are my options for handling something like this:

1. Create ticket in JIRA (enhancement or bug fix)
  2. Create associated test for the ticket
  3. Develop and commit the change / fix
  4. TeamCity picks up and MSBuilds everything
  5. Have JIRA run the Selenium tests via MSUnit (or NUnit) and record the results

I know my steps seem a little vague, but I'm still finding my way.  Most of the articles I've found on this aspect are old and usually "this isn't supported... yet".

I'm also aware that I might not get my *ideal* setup, but that's fine as long as I can get some kind of set up that helps devs work with QA to build and manage these automated tests.  Right now, I'm not even sure what my options are coming out of JIRA into our CI environment.

Any help appreciated!

1 answer

1 vote
Brian Ross August 10, 2015

Don't have a lot of insight to help work through your issue.

We had a Selenium topic come up a little while a go  ( https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/22652561 )

I would try to reach out to Elijah and see what he did to make his Selenium test run (if he ended up using it).

Paul Aldred-Bann August 10, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. I think this article is more about using Selenium to actually use JIRA (in this case logging into 10k LDAP profiles) rather than integrating directly with an automated testing infrastructure. I've done a little more digging around, and I don't think what I actually want is available in this context... maybe I could create some homebrew kind of thing, but I'm trying to avoid that due to the overall cost it will have on time. What I'm currently looking at is JIRA with Zephyr and ZAPI (the RESTful service) where I can run my Selenium tests offline (well, outside of the JIRA scope) and then POST / PUT my test results, screenshots, logs etc. directly to the test issue ticket thing inside JIRA, also updating the status. So it's an integration of sorts, but again not the integration of my dreams - it'll do for now however. Certainly beats a day searching!

Suggest an answer