JIRA installing on mac osx. unstable?

KyuWoo Choi June 18, 2012

I have seen "OS X is suitable for evaluation only".

As I can't find any information how bad idea it is, anyone have jira running on mac? or any information?

I'm thinking installing jira+confluence+etc on mac unless It has severe problems.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
kpeacocke December 4, 2012

I am running OSX 10.8.2 Server with JIRA 5.2, fisheye/crucible 2.9, stash 1.3.1, crowd 2.5.2, confluence 4.3.3 and bamboo 4.3.1 behind an apache proxy with the ssl terminatating at said proxy.

Runs fine for our user base (between 3-7 people, so not massive). We found a few issues, but usually pertaining to upgrades on the OSX side (for example: don't try to be cute and use OSX servers inbuilt postgresql db. Gets upset when you go from 10.7-10.8).

No complaints, other than atlassian don't appear to support this for production! Can't see why, seems to be fine!

1 vote
jetarrant August 9, 2012

I'm running it on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.4 Server for a minimal installation of Jira 4.4.4 and Confluence 3.5 and it works just fine. There are some peculiarities to getting it running on Lion that were not present on Snow Leopard but if you persevere you can get it working.

0 votes
amurphy0921 September 7, 2013

Did you check the permissions of your work, logs and temp directories? They should be owned by the jira runtime user in addition to where you set your JIRA_HOME.

0 votes
Doug Bass January 31, 2013

I have run all Atlassian application of the Mac for the last 5 years for development purposes and haven;t run into any problems. I've also hosted numerous confluence sites for various public domain uses and haven't seen any issues. As far as databases, have used hypersonic and MySql externsively and they also seem to be stable.

Personally I think Atlassian says "for evaluation only" because most of their user base is Windows or Linux and thats where the errors are reported.

Suggest an answer