JIRA incoming mail handler authentication failure resolved by changing from POP to IMAP

MarkW March 17, 2014

Just as the title states, once in a blue moon an incoming mail handler will fail with an authentication error. If I change it from a Pop3 configuration to an IMAP configuration, it works.

Has this happened to anyone else?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Well, this probably means your mailserver doesnt have IMAP enabled, or the user concerned doesnt have privileges to use it? Chat with your network group/mailserver admin. An easy test is to use a standalone email client and try to connect...

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Ask your admin to setup a non expiring service account!

MarkW March 18, 2014

Thanks Andy. I will reach out to them but it's just very weird that it switches. When I set it up for the very first time, the amil handlers were pop3. At some point they began erroring out with authentication errors. Switching it to IMAP worked. Then the password expired and I had to setup a non-expiring password but IMAP would no longer connect, so I changed it to pop3 and it worked.

That is just very odd to me.

MarkW March 18, 2014

I did :-D I made the mistake of assuming they would until all my mail handlers started failing.

Suggest an answer