JIRA incoming email handlers comments issues from another project

Karen Tovmasian August 19, 2015

Hi all.

We are using incoming email handlers which create new issues or comment issues in a particular project.

If i send email with head "I need help" in mailing test@example.com it creates issue in project TEST1.

If somebody in this projects responds to this email, it goes in a comment of a new created issue.

But if i use issue ID from another project (for example TEST2) in email header to test@example.com like:

"TEST2-1234 oops bug" it comments issue TEST2-1234.

I'd like to know if i can restrict this handle to only to comment and create issue in a particular project.

5 answers

1 vote
Martin Ullmann October 24, 2016

Hello, we have had same experience recently. Email handler is set just for one project. But by coincidence we have received an email with a subject which looks like an issue from a different project and this was added as a new comment into a different project. I thnk this is kind of bug.

BR, Martin

1 vote
Karen Tovmasian August 19, 2015

Hello guys, thanks for you answers.

The thing is, that handler is already restricted to one project, but if i use issue key from another project, handler works and comments another issue!!

0 votes
Maitrey Patel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

Can somebody help us raising this as a bug? This is a business critical bug which skips issue to be created,

mngangom January 8, 2019

Better contact their support then.

Maitrey Patel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

Yeah raised a support case already

Like maksim ptrov likes this
0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2015

Hello Karen,

By your description, it seems that you have more than one handler configured for your projects (e.g Mail handler from Test1 and Test2) and is using the same mail box for this. Could you kindly re-check this configuration (If you still have doubts, post a screenshot from the incoming mail configuration) ?

In additional, It's recommended to use a different email account for each project (In your handlers) to don't trigger this confusion.

Maitrey Patel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2019

Hi @Paulo Hennig,

We are using different mail accounts for different projects. So if a subject line contains any issue key of another project then it comments on that ticket rather creating a new ticket in the specified project associated with mail handler.

Thanks,
Maitrey Patel

0 votes
mngangom August 19, 2015

Hello Karen,

You can create a mail handler to restrict it to a particular project. 

Do let me know if you have any other issues.

BR,

Mike

Suggest an answer