JIRA importers plugin - but not for JIRA imports...

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2012

Hey,

I was just wondering. We're facing a fairly big migration from bugzilla to JIRA. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything here...

It it possible to migrate from another platform, (e.g. bugzilla) to automatically create custom fileds, populate them with options (select lists etc...) BUT it's not possible to migrate from another JIRA platform.
I thought Atlassian was going into "Enterprise MODE"???
The "staging" process is a joke.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Establishing+Staging+Server+Environments+for+JIRA Well, do everything that you've done in your test environment again (manually) and then do an XML import. Oh, don't forget to keep your instances on the same release and create every custom field twice...
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

I know, that this issue has been brought up many times but I think sth. has to change pretty soon. I bet there are many customers out there with "JIRA unlimited users" licenses and thus large instances who will be facing an enormous increase in license costs once they're running out of the license grace period. If this problem doesn't get resolved by then I'm not sure if e.g. my current customer is willing to pay the extra amount (and not getting what in my opinion should be part of an "enterprise" package).

Well, back to my problem:-) I'd like to migrate from bugzilla to a test environment, clean it up and export its to our prod environment. So the only way to to this is the way I described above? Migrate via importers plugin, manually recreate custom fields in prod environment and import via XML?

Thanks for any ideas,
Christian

2 answers

1 vote
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2012

You have another option that was added recently in JIRA Importers Plugin - JSON (beta) format that will allow you to copy issues from one JIRA to another without the burden of creating the configuration again.

You need to upgrade JIRA Importers Plugin to the newest version available, then go to Administration -> Plugins -> JIRA Importers Plugin and enable two modules for JSON (beta) view.

After that whenever you go to issue view or issue navigator in Views menu you'll find JSON (beta). Use this to export issues from one JIRA.

To import them on another JIRA use JSON (beta) importer.

This is still work in progress so your mileage may vary.

SarahL August 6, 2012

Hi Pawel,

I was just facing the same problem and I think you are not answering the question. The problem for me (and for Christian it seems) is that I want to be able to export a Jira configuration WITHOUT any issues. Just everything that is configured: projects, workflows, custom fields, ... Can one actually do this??

Regards, Sarah

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

Hi Christian and Sarah,

I believe the JIRA Workflow Sharing plugin has made massive steps forward in terms of exporting/importing workflows and all the associated custom fields, statuses, screens and plugins: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-workflow-sharing-plugin

So, whilst things are far from perfect, I think you will actually find that a HUGE amount of the pain being discussed in this thread regarding the setup of a staging area.

However, I'm sorry to say that the Bugzilla import does still require some work to create the custom fields required for the data import and, unless those fields are tied to a workflow, then they will need to be reconstructed in the production instance, (assuming that you only want to import the Bugzilla data as a single project in the production instance.

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer